COVID-19 threw a host of new challenges and obstacles at us throughout most of 2020. However, a lot can be learned from what we were challenged by and should be accounted for as we finalize our plans for 2021.
Normally by now, most entrepreneurs are well into the planning process for the new year. At Red Elephant, we usually begin planning next year around October. This year has been different for us as it has been for many of you, and we’re just finalizing our 2021 plans. We also know that most people haven’t created one and we want to help you with that.
Here are 9 things you can do right away to get 2021 planned to bring you success and turn around whatever challenges you faced in 2020 (as it relates to your business).
- Assess what stage of business you are now in. You may have started the year in one stage of business but now find yourself in a completely different stage as a result of the past year. People use different models to gauge what stage of business they are in. Whichever model you use, make sure you assess what stage you are currently in. It can be very damaging for a business to operate in an ‘expansion’ stage when they are back in ‘startup’ mode.
- Focus on one thing. It is OK for your offerings to change over time if needed. People are very focused on developing specific skills and participating in trainings which will increase their ability to be in business. They know they need to do whatever it takes to develop these skills in order to survive. The more you focus in on one thing, the more people looking for that particular thing can find you.
- Talk to people.
- Be Generous.
- Meet People where they are – not where you want them to be.
- Plan your life first. Include your business in your life, not your life in your business.
- Create your sales goals and plan it.
- Create a marketing calendar that supports your sales goals and not the other way around.
- Make sure you have a plan to fulfill your sales goals in place.